Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Mrs. Woods Has a New Role this Year at VUES


Mrs. Woods in her new space at VUES!
Mrs.Woods has been here for 44 years as a classroom teacher. Now she is retired but still helps as a volunteer.
1. Who is Mrs Woods?
I am a 72 year old educator who lives in Ferrisburgh, Vermont. After working at VUES as a 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th  grade classroom teacher, an Art teacher, and Science teacher, I retired this past June and am now a volunteer at Vergennes Union Elementary School.


2. What is it like having kids play in your room?
It is a very special time when kids come to our new space for Enrichment. We are working on STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Math) projects using Lego. Yes, we are having fun and “playing” with ideas as we build each week, but we also have assignments. We are learning to make models of structures, and are using different Lego elements to make things move or do work.


3. When were you first here?
When my family moved to Vermont in 1969, I was a substitute teacher at VUES. I first started teaching here, full time, in 1971. During the ten years I was the Art Teacher, I worked at the High School with writing, yearbook, and photography classes. In the early 1980s, I also taught Art at Ferrisburgh Central School one day a week.


4. Where are you in the building?
Mrs Trudo and I share the small room off the library, right next to the Computer Lab. Although I miss my big classroom, this space is very special to me because it was the Art room when Mrs. Sargent, our Principal, was in 5th and 6th grade!


Article written by VUES fifth graders, A.B in 5-2
Photo by ELB in 6-2

4 comments:

  1. i wish that i could have been in your art class, because your an amazing teacher and me and the rest of my class wish that you didn't have to retire so we could still be in your class.
    K.K. 6-2

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I enjoy meeting with your groups on Monday and Friday. You inspire me with your creative ideas!
      MW

      Delete
  2. I wish you stayed as a science teacher I really miss your science classes and the FUN FRIDAY

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I miss being a classroom teacher at VUES, and I especially wish we could have Friday "Choices" again!

      Delete