Tuesday, December 15, 2015

4th Grade Trip to Shaw's




Walking to Shaw's

"Clink, clink, clink."  Money dropped into the "tip" jar at the bake sale.  There was so much money in the jar!  (We were selling food to make money so that we can buy groceries for the John Graham Shelter.)

At school the next day, I went through Morning Meeting, science, typing, specials (PE and music) and then recess.  After recess we went in to our groups.  Protein, canned goods, hygiene products, fresh fruits, fresh vegetables, grains, dairy, and my group - meals in a box.

We walked down the hall in our jackets and gloves and hats.  I thought the walk would be fast but it wasn't.  We had to walk for miles!  Soon we made it to the store.  All that food made be hungry, but I knew that I wasn't buying food for me.

I found my group in isle two.  They were looking at boxed mac and cheese.  We bought three boxes of velvet mac and cheese and two boxes of ramon noodles. We also bought angel hair spaghetti.  Then we waited until every one else finished their shopping.  Finally, we walked back to school.  On the way, we dropped our food off at the John Graham Shelter.  The people there looked very elated when they saw us with the food and hygiene products.

When we got back to school, we had hot chocolate and cookies.  I devoured my cookie and sipped my hot chocolate.  As I drank my cocoa, I thought about how delighted I made those people at the shelter.  That made me smile.

As you can see, it is never too late to do the right thing.

Written by fourth grader, R. G. 


No comments:

Post a Comment